Shortly after being criticised by the Shia community for defending Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone gunman arrested during the terror siege on Mumbai, lawyer Abbas Kazmi has been removed as a trustee from the prestigious Islam Gymkhana on the same ground. Kazmi's appointment as a trustee of Islam Gymkhana was terminated this week on the ground that defending a terrorist was against the essence of Islam. This is the second instance where Kazmi has been criticised.
The expert, Dr Sudhir Nanandkar, told the court that Kasab's chest X-ray shows a complete fusion of the clavicle (collar bone), indicating that he could be 22-years-old.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving Pakistani terrorist arrested during the 26/11 terror attack, betrayed no emotions as a special court on Monday pronounced him guilty on many terror-related charges, including waging war against the nation. Clad in his usual white kurta-pyjama, Kasab stood with his head bowed as Judge M L Tahilyani declared him guilty of the murder of 166 persons during the brazen terror stirke.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday reserved its order on Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab's plea challenging his conviction and death sentence in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman Kasab, the lone terrorist caught alive during November 26 terror attacks, is not aware that Pakistan has disowned him, a crime branch official said.
Two doctors, who treated Mumbai terror attack's prime accused Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab for injuries sustained in the police firing, on Friday identified him in the trial court."He is the one who was brought to the trauma ward of Nair hospital when I was on duty in the early hours on November 27," doctor Yogita Delkar, chief medical officer of Nair hospital said, pointing at Kasab.
Mumbai terror attack convict Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, who is lodged in a high-security jail in Mumbai, has been given a certified copy of the Supreme Court verdict confirming his death sentence. "Kasab was given the certified copy of his death sentence confirmation verdict three days ago, on which he had signed. One copy was given to him and the other was sent to the Supreme Court," an official of Arthur Road Jail said on Tuesday.
Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the prime accused in the terror attack on Mumbai in November last year, has pleaded not guilty to charges framed against him by special court.Kasab, who is facing trial for 166 murders, also admitted that he was 21 years old. He had earlier claimed that he was a minor at the time of the attack and should be tried in the juvenile court. However, dental examination and ossification (bone) tests conducted on him had revealed that Kasab was not a juvenile.
Observing that Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, prime accused in the Mumbai terror attack, is not a minor, a Special Court on Saturday ruled that it had the jurisdiction to try him.
Ahead of the finalisation of the chargesheet in the November 26 terror strike case, medical tests were conducted on Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist, in Mumbai on Tuesday."We do not want to take any risk. Several medical tests, including ECG, blood pressure and stress test, were done on Kasab and he was brought back to police lock-up on Sunday evening. He was in the St George hospital during the last week," said an official.
Family members of the slain policemen, who laid down their lives fighting terrorists on the November 26 last, said the gunman Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab should be hanged without any delay.
The Mumbai terror attack trial began today with an eyewitness telling the special court that he had seen prime accused Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab firing from AK-47 rifle at Assistant Sub Inspector (ASI) Tukaram Omble, who fell to the bullets at Girgaun chowpaty on November 26 last year.
Clearing the air on why all three top officials -- Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Hemant Karkare, Additional Commissioner of Police (ACP) Ashok Kamte and encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar who succumbed to bullet injuries -- were sitting in one vehicle, Mumbai Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Rakesh Maria said: "Given the circumstances they sat together in the police vehicle, which was available to them."
The Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the death sentence of 26/11 Mumbai terror attack convict Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, saying that waging war against the country was the primary and foremost offence committed by the Pakistani terrorist.
Personnel of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police could be brought in to guard arrested terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab in jail, a senior police official said on Tuesday.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist in the Mumbai terror attack who was held guilty on Monday, is a school dropout who saw Jihad as the purpose of his life.Kasab, the face of the devastating terror siege on Mumbai in which 166 persons were killed, took part in the bloodiest episode of the 60-hour siege that started on the night of November 26, 2008.
"The purpose of allowing the DCPs to interact with Kasab is to understand the psyche of a terrorist. This will help the DCPs to take precautionary and remedial measures to prevent any such crimes in future," Rakesh Maria, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) said on Friday.
The trial of lone surviving gunman in the Mumbai terror attack case, Mohammed Amir Ajmal Kasab, scheduled to begin in the premises of Arthur Road central jail on Monday, has been put off by a week as the construction of the special court is not yet over.
About three weeks after his surprise confession, Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the prime accused in the 26/11 terror attacks, today told the court that he wanted to plead guilty to all the charges framed against him.
Waghmare had on Tuesday told a special court that she needed a day to consider whether she would appear in the case, following protests at her residence on Monday night.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested for his involvement in the Mumbai terror strikes, was on Monday remanded to police custody till February 13 for murdering the captain of a Gujarat-based fishing vessel. Kasab, whose police custody in the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus firing case ended today, has been booked in 12 cases by the city police and is in judicial custody in five other cases. When asked by the magistrate, Kasab said he had no complaints.
Officials of the American agency Federeal Bureau of Investigation will be among the witnesses in the trial of Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone Pakistani terrorist caught alive in the November 26 terror strikes, Mumbai police, which is likely to file the chargesheet in the next three weeks, said on Monday.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested in the November 26 terror attacks in Mumbai, was on Monday remanded to police custody till February 2 in the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus firing case. Kasab has been in police custody since his arrest on the night of November 26 and has been booked in 12 cases by the city police.He was last remanded in police custody on January 4 for his involvement with accomplice Ismail Khan in the shootout at Cama and Albless Hospital.
Over a dozen inmates of a jail in Bihar are eagerly waiting for the much sought demand to prepare a hangman's noose, made of the famous 'manila' rope, to hang Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab after the Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the death sentence of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks convict.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, who has been awarded death penalty for his role in the 26/11 terror attacks, is biding his time by practicing karate in the high-security Arthur Road jail, a police source said on Wednesday. The lone surviving gunman is currently lodged in a strong bomb-proof 'anda cell' inside the jail, and a process to shift him to the Yerawada Central Prison in Pune is underway.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist in the Mumbai terror attack who was held guilty on Monday, is a school dropout who saw Jihad as the purpose of his life.Kasab, the face of the devastating terror siege on Mumbai in which 166 persons were killed, took part in the bloodiest episode of the 60-hour siege that started on the night of November 26, 2008.
Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology Milind Deora on why he wrote to the President asking that Kasab be executed soon.
The lone surviving gunman Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab and slain Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative Ismail Khan had planned to strike Raj Bhavan but could not succeed as they were overpowered by the police at Chowpatty enroute to Malabar Hill, the prosecution said on Monday.
When Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology Milind Deora wrote to President Pranab Mukherjee asking Kasab be executed soon.
It was a routine day in prison for 26/11 convict Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, who appeared unaware about the havoc created by him and nine other Pakistani terrorists in the city, three years ago.
Tahawwur Hussain Rana, a key accused in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, was brought to India on Thursday after being "successfully extradited " from the US, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) said. The 64-year-old Canadian citizen of Pakistani origin landed in Delhi in a special plane on Thursday evening, ending days of speculation of when and how he will be extradited, officials said. The NIA said in a statement that it had secured the successful extradition after years of sustained and concerted efforts to bring to justice the key conspirator behind the 2008 mayhem that claimed 166 lives. Rana is accused of conspiring with David Coleman Headley alias Daood Gilani, and operatives of designated terrorist organisations Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and Harkat-ul-Jihadi Islami (HUJI) along with other Pakistan-based co-conspirators, to carry out the the three-day terror siege of India's financial capital.
A ten-year-old girl, who was disabled after being seriously injured in the terror attack on Mumbai on November 26 last year, on Wednesday identified arrested terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, as one of the two men who had fired indiscriminately at passengers inside the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. Devika was among the three witnesses to depose before the court regarding the terror strike at the CST rail terminus.
Over 100 activists staged a protest and pelted stones at the residence of Anjali Waghmare, appointed by a special court to represent Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror attack on Mumbai in November last year, on Monday night. Following the attack, Waghmare has reportedly withdrawn from the case, but no official confirmation about her withdrawal was available.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist captured in the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai, on Friday stood his ground in the witness box while recording his statement under Section 313 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (Power to examine the accused).
'He is the key to unravel the 26/11 conspiracy.'
According to Lam, Waghmare had sought instructions from this witness and even signed a Vakalatnama to help him seek compensation. She had kept the court in dark about this development, Lam alleged. He contended that Waghmare cannot accept brief of accused Kasab if she had decided to appear for a witness in the same case.
'Will this near-war, India's strongest military response so far, buy India another seven years of deterrence?' asks Shekhar Gupta.
"Salem was attacked by Mustafa Dossa with a sharp object. He was injured and doctors are treating him inside the jail. A police team is at the spot," Vasant Tajane, Senior Inspector at N M Joshi Marg police station, told PTI.
Following is the chronology of events in 26/11 terror attack case in which the Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the death sentence of lone Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab:
Pakistani-origin Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana, sought for his involvement in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, has approached a US court for a status conference after waiting for an order on his extradition to India for more than 20 months.